Back in April I was a little short of spring inspiration and I found a few patterns to get my knitting juices flowing. A little untypically for me, I kept my focus and cast on the Dahlia cardigan a few days later.
The way this pattern works is by starting with the back lace panel knitted in the round and working the rest of the cardigan around it in a large triangle. The lace panel was a few hours work – I loved how the pattern just grew and grew.
I chose a yarn which is gently self-striping from a spring green to a deep purple – it reminds me of crocuses. It has a nice sheen and slight fuzz and it’s soft to touch. A great combination for a spring-weight cardigan. And I had plenty of opportunity to experience it’s softness as I started on the acres of stocking stitch for the remainder of the cardigan.
And more stocking stitch.
From then, I got a little side-tracked with baby-wear, to return a few weeks later to finish the sleeves. For some reason, this took me for ever. Perhaps it has something to do with changing the pattern a few times then unknitting to get back to where I started… However like everything in life, the knitting was eventually finished, and with a little bit of nail-biting, I blocked it.
And now, it’s finished! Front:
I added in some short-rows around the shoulder to help the cardigan sit a little more squarely on the shoulders. I also made one side longer and angled to allow it to get it tucked in round the neck. I have a similar designed summer cardigan and I always get frustrated when I want to clasp it closed but can’t. This way round, I have the best of both worlds – waterfall(ish) front when open and with a self-closing mechanism.